This rest area is the only recreational agricultural area in Taiwan that covers agriculture and fishery in one. The focus of promotion is to combine the mountain, the sea and fishing experience to let the tourists understand deeply its local characteristics. The long and narrow base surrounded by the coastline and mountain topography is simple and scenic. Fishing village style, rural landscape, rocky shores, sandy beaches scenery and terrain landscape. The Waiao Beach in Toucheng Township has become the focus of recreation in recent years. Every summer, it attracts a large number of people to play in the water, like surfing and other activities, so with the tourist information service center, it gives full play to the best benefits of serving tourists and promoting local industries.
Taking the development of recreational agriculture and fishery in Toucheng Township’s waterfront and agricultural areas as the main theme. By using the existing resources of local agriculture and fishery, mountains and seascapes, and promoting the transformation of local traditional agriculture and fishery industries through the “three lives :” or main points; Product, Life and Ecology. Integrating the characteristics of the agricultural and fishery industry and landscape ecological resources in the coastal area of
This place “GengXin” was originally called “Gengfang”. In the early years, it was the “ door” to enter and exit the Lanyang Plain. It was connected to Sansiao in the north and Wushih Harbor in the south. It was an important place to guard the North Pass. “Geng” means a block in Southern Hokkien in China, and the word “fang” is a wooden plank. It is speculated that it may be because the ancestors of the Han people, who used to set up a block wooden plank here to prevent the aborigines from encroaching. However, according to the local elders, “Gengfang” is a very direct translation of the Southern Fujian (China) word which means , “the mountain has crumbled down hard.” Gengfang Village belonged to Gengfangzhuang in the Qing Dynasty. In the 32nd year of Meiji (1900), Gengfangzhuang was divided into four villages: Gengfang, Jiangliao, Shikong and Goat’s Cave. The following year, the four villages were merged into Gengfangzhuang again. In the ninth year of the Taisho era (1920), it was named after Gengfangzhuang, including the two villages of Gengfang and Shikong. After the restoration, it was changed to Gengfang Village. On October 3 of the 58th year of the Republic of China (1969), After Typhoon Flausi stuck the area, the hillside “collapsed” and it was renamed “Gengxin Village” at the request of the local residents which mean: looking forward to a new life.
Gengxin Village is located in the northern coastal area of
“Harbor” or “Harbor’s mouth” was named as it is located at the mouth of Wushih Harbor. Gangkou Village belonged to Gangkouzhuang in the Qing Dynasty. In the 32nd year of Meiji (1900), Gangkouzhuang was divided into Gangkou and Gangqizhuang. The following year, the two villages were merged with Waiao, Haoxiaoyao, Sanfenliu, etc. It is the Gang and Ao Villages, and was renamed as Kang and Ao Villages in the ninth year of Taizheng (1920), including the port and Waiao villages. After the restoration, Kang and Ao Villages were officially divided into Gang Village and Waiao Village.
At present, the harbor can be divided into two settlements: the north and the south The north harbor has a large population, and Dongqing Temple is the development center of the settlement, and the south harbor is the Fude Temple. In the 1980s, the Wushi Harbor, which was adjacent to the port, was rebuilt. In addition to the functions of a fishing harbor, the newly-built Wushih Harbor area was also established as a tourist fishing market. The Lanyang Museum was planned to be adjacent to Wushi Harbor for a long time. It has been completed, and the harbor is expected to become another important tourism and leisure base in Yilan County in the future, and it can be expected to prosper.
Wai’ao” was named after its Wan ao, which is located outside Wushih Harbor. Waiao Village belonged to Waiaozhuang during the Qing Dynasty of China. In the 32nd year of Meiji (1900), Gangkouzhuang was divided into Kangkouzhuang and Gangqizhuang. The following year, the two zhuangs and Waiao, Haoxiaoyao, and Sanfen Liusanzhuang were merged into Gang and Aozhuang again. In the ninth year of Taisho (1920), it was changed to Gang and Ao Villages, including the harbor and Waiao villages. After the recovery, Gang and Ao Villages were officially divided into Port Village and Waiao Village and Kang and Ao Creek was used as the boundary river between Waiao and Port Villages.
Wai’ao is divided into Da’ ao and Xiao ao. Its coastline is long and narrow, and there are beautiful beaches therein. During Summer, one can swim and enjoy sea fishing. Wai’ao Village can be called a paradise by the sea. At present, the Northeast Scenic Management Office is building the Wushi Bathing Beach Service Center at Waiao Beach, which will bring more sea recreational activities to Waiao and its adjacent port areas.
In recent years, the ocean-going fishing harbor project built by the Wushih Harbor has been completed year by year with breakwaters and piers. The site of that year has also been planned as a memorial park. With the rise of whale watching and landing tours, the fishing port has become an excellent place for holiday leisure. For the convenience of tourists, there is also a tourist service center. The inner side of the embankment on the north side of Wushih Harbor becomes a great place for strolling and viewing Turtle Mountain Island in the evening.